Thursday, August 30, 2007

Giving Back

I've recently been exploring using my artistic talents for something other than personal gain. One thought I had was getting professonal artists together to teach art classes to kids who have been effected by homelessness. While this could turn out to be a great community project, homelessness hasn't exactly effected me on a deep personal level. In other words, I have never actually been homeless myself.

Don't get me wrong. Homelessness is a tragic issue. However, I have heard it once said, "don't attempt to be a leader in someone else's emergency unless you have a lot of success under your belt."

Since I don't have a lot of "success" being homeless, does this mean I'm not a good fit for this project? I could see where it would help.

So, what do you do to give back to your community? Is it something you do because of past expereinces?

©2007 David Scott | Cosmic

No comments: